Year 2 Transition
Everyone at Craneswater is really looking forward to welcoming the new year 3 cohort. We hope families enjoy watching the slideshow below which contains video messages from Mr Jones and the year 3 class teachers.
My New School
School letters for families joining Craneswater September 2020
June 2020 Breakfast and afterschool care/ School uniform
Firstly, may I welcome you and your child to Craneswater Junior and thank you for selecting us for your child’s junior school education.
Usually at this point we would be informing you of our range of transition events . However, these are, at present, not open to us. Instead, we are working with our feeder schools and the Local Authority to develop some alternative arrangements. Our aim is still to provide the best possible transition for all children. We have already started our conversations and information sharing with our infant school colleagues about the children who will be coming up to us including those with additional needs. As we make further plans, we will inform you of these.
You will shortly be receiving an admissions form by post. If you could complete this as soon as possible and return in the stamped addressed envelope provided this would be much appreciated.
Breakfast and after school childcare.
This is provided at Craneswater by Binsteed Childcare Services. Please contact them directly on 023 92421313 if you are interested in a place for September. They provide childcare starting at 7.30 and finishing at 5.45pm.
Bramble Infant and Nursery School also provide afterschool care. The children are taken by a walking bus to the centre. Their contact details are : Tel: 02392 422431, Mob: 07967 781006
We no longer sell uniform from the school office unless it is an emergency. We have two uniform providers for you to choose from. Brigade Clothing and My Clothing Limited. Please take a look at both sites and make your choices. The deadlines for ordering are set out below.
Trousers/shorts – plain in black or charcoal grey (available from most clothing suppliers)
Skirts - black or charcoal grey (available from most clothing suppliers)
Polo shirts – white (available from most clothing suppliers)
Sweatshirts/cardigans – navy blue (available from Brigade Clothing or My Clothing Limited) “hoodies” are not permitted
Black or charcoal grey tights - leggings are not permitted (available from most clothing suppliers)
Shoes – completely black
Summer dresses - blue gingham (available from most clothing suppliers)
School bag: Years 3 & 4 – Blue draw string (pupil’s lockers are small and can only accommodate this type).
In order to reduce playground accidents, it is recommended that children wear black flat-heeled shoes with encased toes. Children are NOT permitted to wear trainers.
Black or navy shorts, yellow embroidered t-shirt. A shorts and T-shirt set is free if your child is entitled to free school meals. (Please contact the office and we will order the items for you).
Plimsolls or bare feet indoors, plimsolls or trainers outdoors
Yellow PE bag
Brigade Clothing: www.brigade.uk.com
My Clothing Limited: www.myclothing.com
The last date for ordering is Friday 7th August 2020.
Free School Meal Pupils
If you are or think you may be entitled to free school meals, please make sure you make an application to https://www.gov.uk/apply-free-school-meals and send it to the Local Authority who will notify us of your entitlement. This is a worthwhile exercise even if your child is not likely to have school dinners as the school receives an amount of money, “Pupil Premium”, to spend on supporting achievement. When you register you will also be entitled to a free PE shorts and T-Shirt set and reduced fees for music lessons should your child wish to partake.
If you are entitled then please email the school at ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ giving the size you wish to order.
September arrangements for Year 3
We are delighted to be opening up to all and look forward to having your child start their time with us here at Craneswater Junior School. We have been working hard on plans to keep pupils as safe as possible while making sure the school day and classroom environment feels familiar and normal. Our first official start date is Thursday 3rd September.
Once again we are offering our new year 3 pupils a second opportunity to visit the site and see their teacher on Wednesday 2nd September. If you feel that your child would benefit from this opportunity, please enter the site by the St Ronan’s Road entrance near Albert Road.
The timings of this will be:
- Southsea Infant 9:00 to 9:40
- Cumberland Infant 10:00 to 10:40
- Bramble Infant and all other schools 11:20 to 12:00
Please ensure you leave promptly at these times so we can welcome the next group.
Please also ensure that you maintain social distancing at all times.
On the first and second day of term (Thursday 3rd and Friday 4th September), we will ask you to join us at 9.20 in the middle playground for a 9.30 start. For many of the children in school this will be their first day at school since March and we think it will be easier for our new year 3 children to settle given a later and less busy start. We will also finish at 2.30pm for year 3 children on those days for the same reasons.
On these 2 days please enter the site via the entrance on St Ronan’s Road nearest Albert Road and leave via the more southerly exit on St Ronan’s Road. See Map A.
From the week beginning Monday 7th September year 3 will then begin their standard start and finish times alongside the rest of the school. These are set out below:
- years 3 and 5 drop off 8.30am and collection 2.50pm
- years 4 and 6 drop off 8.40am and collection 3.00pm
Classes 3B (Mrs Brooks), 3D (Mr Dugan) and 3R (Mrs Robinson) will enter and leave via the southerly entrance on St Ronan’s Road. 3W (Mrs Wilkinson) will enter and leave via the northern entrance on St Ronan’s Road. Please see Map B.
Getting to and from school
Please avoid using public transport as far as possible. We would encourage walking, cycling and scooting – there are facilities for cycle and scooter storage at school. We would suggest that you bring a lock as all are left at owners’ risk.
Please do not congregate around the site at the beginning and the end of the school day to ensure that social distancing is maintained. As far as possible please either; allow your child to come to school on their own (if you feel that is appropriate) or drop them off near the school allowing them to walk to the school entrance by themselves.
If you feel that you need to bring your child onto the school site please use the carousel systems to drop your child off without staying around to engage in conversation with your child’s teacher (obviously a quick hello is fine). This is so we can maintain social distancing and make drop offs efficient. This is a walking carousel as opposed to a stop and wait. Please queue up outside the school premises maintaining social distancing and do not cross the yellow markers in the playgrounds.
Please be on time. Children will not be allowed to stay and play on site at the end of the day.
The car park entrance should only be used by children who are entering and leaving the site by themselves and is not for parents at the moment.
Please contact the office by email or telephone call as far as possible rather than coming into the reception area as we need to minimise the number of adults on site. DFE guidelines state that parents should only come into school in an emergency. In any event we will only allow one parent/family in reception at a time. Our preferred method of communication for general messages is ‘Studybugs’ You should have received details of this app in our hadbook. If you have not already signed up please do so by following this link https://studybugs.com/
- Children should NOT wear facemasks in school as this is against government advice. If you choose to wear one on the way to school they will need to be put away in a bag or disposed of in a bin
- Pupils should wear school uniform except on PE days where they children should come in their PE kit. Children will be informed of their PE days once we return to school. We will be keeping windows open as much as possible so please make sure your child dresses accordingly and has a jumper to wear
- Water bottles are to be brought in from home and taken home daily
- Children should not bring in any additional items e.g. pencil cases. All equipment will be provided in individual pencil cases.
- There will be no hot lunches as there are too many logistical challenges to enable these to be provided safely. Children will still be able to order a cold packed lunch through
- SCOPay or in class, which will still be provided free for those eligible. Please follow the link for more information https://caterlinkltd.co.uk/school/portsmouth-citycouncil/
- We emailed sign up details for parents to set up a SCOPay accoutnt a few weeks ago. If you have not received the email or have had problems with the account, your child will still be able to order a meal in class. The admin team will be contacting parents who have notified us of problems early next week.
- If you are providing your child with a packed lunch from home lunches are to be placed in a washable lunchbox with your child’s name and class clearlhy labelled.
We are fortunate in Portsmouth that the level of infection is currently low. You can play your part in keeping the rate of infection low and reducing the spread of the virus by:
- Helping your child understand and follow the school's new arrangements to keep everyone as safe as possible
- Teaching your child how to wash their hands effectively, and ensuring they wash their hands frequently
- Encouraging good respiratory hygiene, by following the "catch it, bin it, kill it" guidance when coughing or sneezing
- Keeping your child off school if they or anyone in the household has symptoms of coronavirus, or if they have returned from a country with quarantine restrictions in the last 14 days.
- If reporting an absence please use the Studbugs app. https://studybugs.com/
Please contact us if your child has any underlying health conditions that you feel we need to be aware of and that may affect their return to school on email@example.com
We also have two in service training days days booked for the autumn term on Monday October 5th and Monday 30th November. Therefore, school will be closed on these two days.